Black Lives Matter.
Together, we will bridge the gap.
Black lives matter. This isn't a moment. It's a movement for better.
While we know that real action takes time, it has to start now.
We're taking this moment to look inward and make real steps towards more clearly championing inclusivity and diversity within our company.
And, we have work to do.
Our Black employees, allies, and advocates spoke up. And came together to set real intentions for real actions, focused on more representation inside (and outside) our company, making products with purpose, and continuing to include Black voices in all our marketing.
So, we make this pledge to you. We haven't always been perfect but go forward, you have our honesty and transparency. We'll be on our social channels every month with an update on our progress.
Together, we will move forward. As individuals. United to bridge the gap. Now.
Here are the commitments we are making today as a first step in our continued movement towards better.
We Stand for Representation
We believe our teams should look like the communities we serve. While, we are well represented by gender, we have work to do across all levels and functions to fully represent BAME (Black, Asian & Minority Ethnic) employees.
We commit to:
- Gap Inc. is proud to join the 15 Percent Pledge as an advocacy partner, committing to increasing our pipeline programs by 15 percent with the goal of driving access and opportunity for the Black community within the Gap Inc. family of brands.
- Continuing to ensure pay equity amongst genders and races.
- Evaluating on-boarding, career development (including ongoing training and resources), advancement, belonging on our teams as well as our pipeline programs inclusive of internships, externships, and learning experiences.
- Rolling out Anti-Racist Behavior trainings, such as Unconscious Bias, brand wide.
By 2025, we will:
- Double the representation of Black and Latinx employees at all levels in our US HQ offices.
- Double the representation of BAME employees in functions that make and market our products to ensure we are creating for all, with all.
- Increase representation of Black employees in our Store Leader roles by 50%.
We continue to stand for Open to All. Gap joined Open to All in 2018, a national nondiscrimination campaign that believes everyone should be welcome regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and expression, immigration status, religion, or disability. This pledge reaffirms that our workplaces and stores are welcoming spaces for everyone.
We Stand for Products With Purpose
We are actively developing more inclusive products and graphics that represent our customers and cultural identities.
- Providing product teams with inclusive product trainings, tools, and resources.
- Work with our Color Proud Council to better inform all product design, merchandising, and marketing.
- Continue important work with partners like Harlem's Fashion Row to champion the next generation of designers and to create access for designers of color to careers in fashion.
We Stand for Marketing That Includes All Voices
We do more than sell clothes. Our business is a force for good. We are committed to providing a platform for artists, designers, and small-business owners to amplify Black voices and Black talent.
- Continue to be committed to diversity in our advertising by working with talent (both in front of and behind the camera) that is collectively over 50% people of color.
- Immediately evaluate all partner relationships, ensuring we only work with companies that share our values.